We found this photo of our first Interclub Team from 1921 and we're trying to find out who these men are who started the history of our club. If you know one, or know someone who might, please let us know! We can be contacted by email at email@example.com
In 1921, one of golf's most prolific architects, A.W. Tillinghast , was hired to transform 175 acres of hilly Millcreek farmland into a golf course. Five years later, in 1926, Erie Golf Club was open to the public. Born in Philadelphia in 1874, Tillinghast was an accomplished author, poet, and Broadway musical financier. He spent time in Scotland, learning the game of golf from that era's greats. Upon returning to the U.S., he became one of our country's top players. Later, he began designing golf courses, primarily in New Jersey and New York. His work soon became renowned worldwide. In a career spanning 30 years, Tillinghast designed or redesigned 265 golf courses. His courses have hosted more of golf's major championships than any other architect, including three PGA and 10 U.S. Open tournaments. Many of Tillinghast's most famous designs are included in golf's top 100 courses in the United States. Those courses include Baltusrol (N.J.), Winged Foot (N.Y.), Quaker Ridge (N.Y.), Bethpage Black (N.Y.), San Francisco Golf Club (Calif.), Baltimore Country Club (Md.), and Medinah (Ill.). Tillinghast was an advocate of strategy on a golf course. He did not require lakes or streams to be used as hazards. He preferred using the turf, sand and contours of the land. Erie Golf Club's rolling hills and elevation changes are fine examples of features found in many of Tillinghast's great courses. Through some creative thinking and a little horse trading, a piece of history and some of Mother Nature's finest work was preserved. Many more generations will be able to learn and enjoy a great game on a course designed by one of golf's great artists.